Job Hunter is a free weekly workshop for students studying at Campbell and seeking work in New Zealand. It is ideal for students on a Working Holiday Visa or a Student Visa and who meet the criteria for work rights (ie full time study for a minimum of 14 weeks).
Job Hunter is held each Thursday after regular classes have finished and is open to students with intermediate English and above.
General Overview: This is a course designed to provide students with the basic skills and the confidence to find and apply for a job while staying in New Zealand.
At the end of the course the students will have:
- A complete professional looking CV
- A professional cover letter that they can adapt for different applications
- The skills and language ability to approach businesses and enquire about jobs
- Developed their awareness of interview skills and behaviour
- A knowledge of common employment specific vocabulary
Example course outline – this may be adjusted depending on students’ needs. Students may attend as many sessions as they wish while they are studying at Campbell.
Unit 1: Finding a Job
- Where to look for a job
- Types of application
- The language of job adverts
- Job skills
- Find 3 job adverts that interest you and decide what skills are required to do the job
Unit 2: CV / Resume
- Things to include on a CV
- Layout or format
- Suitable vocabulary
- CV writing
- Discuss and edit CV and cover letter with teacher
Unit 3: First Impressions
- Importance of first impressions
- Cold calling language / role play
- Questions you might face in an interview
- Practice interviews with teachers to prepare for final evaluation
Unit 4: Final Interview
- Interview preparation
- Interview presentation
- Peer and teacher evaluations